Group Begins Appeal To Corporations for Grants for Colleges

The Council for Financial Aid to Education, a newly formed non-profit organization, will start immediately to publicize the possibility of tax benefits to business corporations making contributions to educational institutions.

The Council, tentatively organized a year ago, received a legal boost last week when federal courts decided through test cases that such contributions were legal.

With this unofficial approval of the court, William Compton, Council director, has moved into New York office and will start a publicity drive to bring colleges $125,000,000.

The Council will not be allowed to specify and particular college when discussing aid. But Neil H. McElroy '35, president of Procter and Gamble, who was chosen because of his work in Harvard fund drives, is on the beard of directors.

The Council, according to Richard Politt, a spokesman, will neither collect nor distribute money. "Our purpose is to let corporations know what kind of contribution they can make under the laws."

"We'll probably act more like a catalyst than anything else," he said.

"The business corporations are the last untapped sources for education. We won't allot money or collect it, we'll just try and educate business leaders on the importance of education to business."

"We feel that the Corporations not only have the money to give, they also have the interest to give. It wasn't a question of whether they should or shouldn't give, but how they could give. It's our job to explain how."