Gift of $100,000 Boosts Drive for Hockey Roof

Watson Grant Raises Enclosed Rink Fund Halfway to Goal

Hopes for a roof over Harvard's newly opened hockey rink rose sharply yesterday when it was learned that John W. Watson '22 will contribute $100,000 to the fund drive.

Watson offered the same sum last January to help buy the Boston Arena from the Metropolitan District Commission. At that time he made the provision that the City of Boston raise the rest of the money and that the building be named after his brother, Donald C. Watson '15, a former Crimson football star who died in 1951. The same condition about naming the rink probably holds true for the latest offer.

Alexander H. Bright '19, head of the drive to build the roof, last night refused to comment.

Watson, however, commented last night, "I believe that Harvard should have an enclosed rink, because previous experience at other schools has proven that an outdoor rink isn't too good unless it's enclosed. There is a great need for such a rink at Harvard and I'm very happy to be able to help."

Brings Total Over Half Way

Although not completely insuring the rink, Watson's contribution will aid the drive greatly. Bright had earlier stated that $350,000 was needed, and this gift brings the total over the halfway mark.

The drive for the roof was started early last June, but was temporarily discontinued because of the lack of funds. Only $62,000 had been raised at that time.

But this fall Bright said that he hoped to start the drive again after President Pusey's October speech at the Varsity Club.

The hockey rink, which was opened on Nov. 15, will be used by the varsity hockey team for practice and also for House hockey games, physical training credit for freshmen, and for pleasure skaters. The freshman hockey team will not only use the rink for practice, but will play most of its games there.