Local Poets Will Give Benefit Reading for Dylan Thomas' Family

To raise money for the children of the late Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas, the Poets' Theatre will hold a benefit reading on Monday, Dec. 6.

Poets Archibald MacLeish, Richard Eberhart, and Richard Wilbur will read form their own works, while Thomas verse will be read by Ivor A. Richards, University Professor. Poetess Marianne Moore may also read.

In announcing the reading, Lyon Phelps. President of the Poets' Theatre, said that Thomas left his family with "no money at all."

Phelps said the Poets "immediately decided to have a benefit for Thomas because so many of us knew him. Some knew him quite well." Thomas read three times before the Poets' group. He was giving readings of his new play, "Under Milk Wood," in New York when he died last month.

Phelps said there will be no admission charged for the readings. Instead, each member of the audience will be asked to contribute what he can, afterwards. "We think we will collect more this way," Phelps said. The Poets' Theatre will donate the money collected to the national Dylan Thomas Fund, located in New York.

The reading will be in Sanders Theatre at 8:30. Phelps said that people who cannot come but who wish to contribute should send their gifts to the Dylan Thomas Fund, 100 Brattle St.