Football Ticket Sales Probably Will Not Increase for '53, '54 Seasons

Football ticket sales, which dropped $100,000 from the 1951 season to the 1952 year, probably will not increase this year, Athletic Association Business Manager Carroll F. Getchell admitted yesterday.

The reason for the drop from '51 to '52 was the lighter football schedule, which saw Army and Holy Cross, both local crowd drawers, replaced on the schedule by Washington University of St. Louis and Davidson.

"We don't know the exact figures yet," Getchell said, "and we've still got some totalling to do. We hope that it will be slightly better than last year but we're not sure. But there will be no great increase," he added.

Getchell has yet to complete the figures for the Crimson's two away games, played against Columbia in New York City, and Yale in New Haven. Close to 65,000--the largest crowd to jam the Bowl in years, watched the final game. The H.A.A. gets a percentage of the final profits.

Small Davidson Crowd

Davidson drew an exceptionally small crowd this year, while the attendance at the Ohio University game was also disappointing.

The H.A.A. expects no increase in home attendance through the 1954 schedule which has the University of Massachusetts and Ohio playing Stadium games.

The drop in ticket receipts constituted nearly a fourth of the H.A.A.'s 1952-53 deficit. The attendance figures for the past season are known to be up, but some of the increase stems from the free tickets given students. Athletic Association officials hope a similar rise in paid attendance will increase receipts.

This was the first year that undergraduates received free tickets to all home games. They received half-price seats for the Yale game, paying $2.40 instead of the usual $4.80.