Dorgan Blasts Overseers' Policy on Red Professors

Thomas Dorgan, clerk of the Suffolk Superior Civil Court, attacked the Overseers for their failure to fire Red professors in an address before the Boston Teachers Club yesterday.

His attack was primarily aimed at Chairman Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr. '27, and at what he termed the "heavy men" of the board-Gov. Christian A. Herter '15, Sinclair Weeks '14, and Sen. Leverett Saltonstall '17.

He asked Wysanski, "where is the principle in allowing Professors Furry, Markham Kamin, and Fine to remain on the Harvard faculty?" "Why," he questioned, "are prominent men in political and educational fields silent when it is their duty to talk up as Americans?"

He reminded Wyzanski that Harvard has a state-given charter and benefits from tax exemption. "It is Harvard's duty," he claimed, "to settle the problem of Communist conspiracy before Congress has to investigate."

"It is about time to cut the legalistic and technicalistic language out and use God-given common sense," said Dorgan.

When questioned at his home, Dorgan, the originator of the Massachusetts's teacher's loyalty oath, said that the Corporation knew about the Communist cell at Harvard when the loyalty oath was created in 1935.

He said that Pusey inherited the Red problem from Conant and added that, "Conant should be brought back and questioned."

Dorgan said that he disapproved of the Corporation's report on how it would treat Communist professors. He implied that if Harvard continues its present policy of laxity, District Attorney George E. Thompson, who he said was investigating the case, might take some action.