Quintet Plays Strong Cornell In Crucial Contest Tonight

Only a major upset will put the Crimson varsity basketball team back on the winning trail in its game with Cornell at Ithaca tonight. The Big Red, a top-heavy favorite to win the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League championship in a preseason poll of the coaches, is undefeated so far this season.

This evening's game is the second league contest for the Crimson, which lost its E.I.D.L. opener to Brown Saturday, 62 to 51, after preliminary victories over Boston University and Wesleyan earlier in the month.

The varsity entrained for Ithaca last night and will take a brief shooting practice this afternoon to get accustomed to the Cornell court, and to work out their kinks after the long trip. Before leaving, Coach Norm Shepard commented, "Cornell has a very good ball club; they have everything except an outstanding star like Jack Molinas or Ernie Beck."

Playing the pivot on what he calls "their very well balanced team" is 6 ft.; 5 in. John Sheeby; scouting reports indicate that he is "very smooth--their see in the hole." At the guards for Cornell will be Dave Bradfield and diminutive (5 ft., 8 in.) Charlie Rolles. Rolles is a sophomore, as is starting forward Ray Zelek, who stands 6 ft., 5 in.

But by far, Cornell's biggest threat is forward Lee Martin, "a hard driving forward with a good set shot." Shepard feels that Martin is certain to qualify for the all-league team.

In an effort to stop the high-scoring forward, Shepard plans to start Ed Condon for the first time this year. The Crimson coach considers the small guard the "fastest man on the squad."

Opening at the other guard for the Crimson will be Captain Ed Krinsky. Harry Sacks, Rollin Perry, and Dick Manning were the remaining starters, in previous games, but Shepard contemplates replacing at least one of them tonight.