Ramsey to Rebut McCarthy via TV On Sunday Night

Convinced that "Harvard is a fine University and that McCarthy could not uncover 'a very smelly mess here," Norman F. Ramsey, professor of Physics will defend this belief when he appears on "Meet the Press" Sunday night.

On this nationally televised and broadcast program, Ramsey, a well-known unclear physicist, will explain the University's actions in not suspending Associate Professor Wendell H, Furry. Ramsey made it clear last night, however, that he is not speaking for the University, only for himself.

No "Smelly Mess"

Last night, he said: "I believe that the Harvard Corporation after a thorough and deliberate consideration reached a just and wise decision in the cases of Professor Furry and three others last spring. I further believe that Harvard in a fine University and that McCarthy could not uncover 'a very smelly mess here'. I am prepared to answer questions as to why I hold these beliefs."

"Meet the Press" is unrehearsed, featuring a panel composed of Lawrence Spirak and three national reporters who shoot questions, often very provocative, at a guest panelist, in this case Ramsey. It was not learned last night who the reporters will be Sunday.

TV station WJAR will carry the program at 6 p.m. Sunday and radio station WBZ at 11.30 p.m.

Ramsey has been a member of the faculty for seven years. He holds degrees from Columbia, Cambridge, and Harvard Universities.