Basketball Team Seeks Third Win, Favored to Defeat Tufts Tonight

After dropping two consecutive road games, to Brown and Cornell, the varsity basketball team returns to the Blockhouse tonight favored to defeat Tufts. Game time will be 8:30 p.m., following a 6:30 preliminary between the Yardlings and the Tufts freshmen.

Coach Norm Shepard will probably open with the same quintet he started against Cornell at Ithaca Wednesday. Junior Dick Manning will start at center, Bill Dennis and high-scorer Harry Sacks at the forwards, and Ed Condon and Captain Ed Krinsky at the guards.

Condon, a starting guard as a junior last year, regained the post when Shepard juggled his lineup following the Brown loss.

Certain to be substituted freely is big Ed Blodnick, a definite offensive threat in the first four games and a creditable defensive rebounder as well.

Despite the successive losses to Cornell and Brown, the team still holds a .500 win-loss average--with victories over Boston University and Wesleyan.

The game will be the last for the varsity until the New England Basketball Tournament, to be held at Hanover, N.H., Dec. 28 through 30. Included in the opposition there will be host Dartmouth, and the University of Connecticut.

The Yardlings are undefeated in their three starts so far, and are favored to down the Jumbo freshmen in the preliminary.

Coach Floyd Wilson will start his usual lineup. Captain Bill Dolvon, high scorer, and Lou Lowenfels, will open at the guard spots. Ike Canty, 6-foot 4-inch center, will continue at center, and Bob Hurley and Rod Long should start at forwards.