Candidate Protest Prompts Revote for '55 Council Post

January Revote Called After Sheats Holds Levy Protest Valid

Student Council elections for the junior class will be re-run immediately following vacation, as the result of a protest by an unsuccessful candidate.

Harold F. Levy '55 of Adams House, who reportedly lost by a slim margin, yesterday maintained that the proper steps were not taken to allow members of the basketball team, playing Cornell at Ithaca Wednesday, and other students not in Cambridge, to vote for the class Council representatives.

Insufficient Publicity

Paul D. Sheats '54 Council president, and Richard B. Baumgartner '55, election chairman, upheld the protest, and last night decided on a revote shortly after January 4.

Levy claimed that there "should have been more advertising of the election." Sheats agreed and said it was "unfortunate" that many students did not know when or where to vote. Only 548 juniors turned in ballots.

Elected to the Council in the original election were incumbents Clifford Alexander, Lowell; David P. Bicks, Dunster; and Richard S. Dolins, Lowell. The term of election is one year, from January to January.

Sophomores Unaffected

The three sophomores named to the new council are unaffected by the revote. Elected by the Class of 1956 were Bradley W. Stark, Dunster; Irving K. Zola, Adams; and Newell B. Mack, Kirkland.

Stark and Zola are incumbents elected last spring for three-month terms. Ten candidates competed for the three sophomore positions.