Low Temperatures Throughout Most of U.S.; Only Southern California Has Warm Weather

Vacationing students can expect clear, cold weather throughout most of the country when they return home this weekend for the Christmas holidays.

Only exceptions to this general forecast will be snow flurries along the Appalachian Mountains, rain in Oregon and Washington, and warm and sunny weather in Southern California, the Weather Bureau reported last night.

Warmer weather with heavy precipitation is also expected before the end of vacation.

The midwestern parts of the country are almost entirely frozen. Below zero temperatures were reported yesterday from Arkansas, Texas, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and North Dakota. Frost was reported in most of the southern states, and temperatures dipped to 35 on the southern tip of Florida.

Light snow along the Atlantic coast is expected to slow up car traffic south only slightly, and no flight cancellations are anticipated by major airlines.