Rifle Season to Open at Brown; Sophomores Will Dominate Team

A Varsity rifle team which has beaten Princeton, lost to Yale and to a traditionally powerful M.I.T. squad, will open its New England Intercollegiate season at Brown this coming Saturday.

The team, composed almost entirely of sophomores, is the same group which posted an exceptionally good report in freshman competition last season. Captain Frank R. Sweet, Jr, '54, shooting first, is followed by John Hesselton '56, Benjamin Dane '56, John Lenses '56, Marvin Proscott '56, and Nathaniel L. Geary '56, in that order. Hesselton, the star of last year's freshman team, was formerly New England Interscholastic Champion at Exeter.

Longest College Season

The season which began a month ago extends until March 20, and is Harvard's longest for intercollegiate competition. Official matches for the New England Intercollegiate League trophy, held in mid-March, will and the season.

The team's most promising prospect at present is football quarterback Jerry Marsh '55. Although Marsh is a newcomer to college refinery, Sweet feels he is making "very rapid progress" and should be regular before the season closes.

The New England League is composed of a Northern and a Southern division, with Harvard in the latter, matched against Boston University. Yale, and the Coast Guard Academy. The team's Schedule is not limited to League members, however, and will include Dartmouth, the University of New 'Hampshire, and several others.

Thought the team hopes to better its record as the season progresses, it is a young team for varsity competition, and Sweet says, "What we're really doing in building for two and three years from now."