SPORTS NEWS

Dick Clasby of Harvard and Jack Shanafelt of Penn are the lone Ivy League players named to the 1958 Associated Press All-American football team.

Clasby in the first Harvard player to gain All-American recognition since Club Peabody in 1942. He is a third string back on this year's team.

Shahafelt is first string tackle.

The first team backfield is Paul Giel, Minnesota; John Lattner, Notre Dame; Paul Cameron, UCLA and David Johnson, Rice.

Harvard and Dartmouth hockey teams clash tonight in Hanover, N.H., in the inaugural game of the new Dartmouth artificial-ice hockey rink.

The Crimson, which holds a five-win, no-loss record over the Indians in the past two years, is rated an underdog in the inaugural. Coach Eddie Jeremiah has his entire Dartmouth first team returning from last year, including captain and wing Bruce Haertle.

Although Harvard has trounced M.I.T. twice in scrimmages so far, there is no clear indication that the team has been able to score as consistently as last year. Both Walt Greeley and Amory Hubbard, first liners, have graduated.

The team also has lost sophomore Bill last year, who will not be able to play until after midyears, because of academic difficulties.

"It would be awful nice to have Cleary around," Captain Wood said yesterday, "but his loss won't break our team. We're going to win tomorrow. We're got nine lettermen back ourselves, and there is no reason why we should stop at five straight against Dartmouth."