THEY ALSO SERVE

We have stood by, silent and tightlipped, for five days, while New Yorkers have done without their major newspapers. Every day we have held back, hoping the strike would end. We can stand by and watch no longer. The CRIMSON is bringing its newsprint to New York.

On no account does this implay that we are taking sides in the dispute. WE are not trying to force the other papers into settling without full arbitration. For this reason, we have not accepted the many offers of advertising from Macy's, Gimbel's, et al. But we feel that New Yark deserves more than the bare news. Therefore, we have gathered some of Harvard's international experts, Nieman fellows (all top newsmen), and set them to work with our staff to send an analysis of today's news to New York. We hope it will show that Harvard professors, far from vegetating in ivory towers, are alive and alert to world events and by their work making a substantial contribution to the free world.

Because we cannot hope to print as many as one million copies, we ask those lucky New Yorkers who get one of these copies to share them with friends. We can only ask that no one resell the CRIMSON at more than the printed price of five cents.

Of course, we plan to stop publication of the New York edition as soon as the strike is settled.