Sextet Loses Season's Opener, 5-1, As Dartmouth Dedicates New Rink

HANOVER, N.H., Dec. 4--Dartmouth's veteran hockey team, led by always steady, often sensational goalie Gordie Russell, defeated the varsity hockey team, 5 to 1, before 2,300 spectators here tonight.

In a game preceded by dedication of the indoor hockey rink, and characterized by rough play which resulted in ten penalties, the Indians took a one goal first period lead, and then added three more in the second.

Dartmouth, except for the first period when the Crimson played its best hockey, was always the better team. It displayed a stronger defense than the Crimson which was without the services of star Jeff Coolidge and Tony Patton, Coolidge is suffering from a healing football injury, while Patton is out with a broken collarbone.

Bliss Scores for Crimson

The one bright moment for the Crimson, which was unable to score even when Dartmouth had two men in the penalty box, came after 14:36 of the second period. First line left wing Ned Bliss took a Job Bray pass and slapped it past Russell.

But otherwise, the varsity, without ace center Bill Cleary, and with relatively inexperienced defensemen was unable to stop the Green surge. Carl Hathaway, making one of his first starts in the nets for the Crimson, stopped 22 Dartmouth shots.

For the Green, which has almost its entire 1952-53 team back, Bruce Haertle scored twice, while Seaver Peters had one and was credited with two assists. John Titus, veteran wing, also scored, while Dick Heydt added the final tally.