Crimson Six Battles Against Green At Arena in Quest of Second Win

By Hiller B. Zobel

Tired and battered from a tough B.C. game yesterday, but still the well-known Mean Green, Dartmouth's hockey team returns to town tonight, bringing the local Pentagonal League opener with it.

The varsity sextet, fresh and ready after its comeback victory over North-eastern, will provide the opposition at the Arena. Face-off time is 9 p.m.

Not even the Crimson's physical advantages, however, could induce point-spreaders to install Coach Cooney Weiland's men as favorites. Dartmouth traditionally plays its best--and roughest--when the going is difficult. Big Green hustle always tends to even any odds.

The varsity lineup: Richardson, g; Coolidge, r.d.; Mrkonich, l.d.; Greeley (C), c.; Chase, r.w.; Hubbard, l.w.

The Indians, incidentally, haven't beaten Harvard in Boston since 1950. Moreover, they haven't topped the Crimson anywhere in the last five times the teams have met. That impressive string includes a 5 to 0 Harvard victory at Hanover earlier this season.

Dick Clasby, unfortunately, probably won't play tonight. Still shaky from an unusually severe case of the flu, the starting right wing did not skate in yesterday's practice, although he had previously been discharged from Stillman.

Number One utility player George Chase will again fill in for Clasby on the first line. Captain Walt Greeley and left wing Amory Hubbard will start with Chase.

As usual, Dartmouth has an energetic, if not talented team. Eddie Jeremiah, the Green's author-coach, teaches his defense-men to body check and his forwards to play a tight man-for-man game.

The offense, however, is a sadder story. Except for John Titus and Seaver Peters, the Indians lack any forwards who can--to use Jeremiah's favorite phrase--"put the puck in the ocean."

The Crimson ended up as third best in the East after yesterday's hockey luncheon. Hockey writers picked B.C. first, with 1421/2 points. B.U. had 134, and Harvard 131.

Dartmouth's freshmen travel down to the Arena to tangle with Myles Huntington's undefeated Yardlings this afternoon at 4 p.m. Huntington is more worried about his own team's getting over-sure of itself than he is of the Green freshmen. Dartmouth lost 4 to 1 to St. Paul's, which the Yardlings beat 4 to 1 last Saturday.

The Crimson's record is now 7 wins, 3 losses, and one tie. In the Pentagonal League it has won the only game played--a 5 to 0 victory over Dartmouth