Eat Once, Pay Twice

Not all gastronomical decrees emanate from the Dining Hall Kingdom with the proud rolling of drums of last week's board rate decrease. Last September, a decree cancelling the practice of signing off board was slipped onto the books so quietly students hardly noticed. Until, that is, they tried to sign off for post-examination vacations.

It is little wonder that the Dining Halls wished to avoid publicity on the sign-off fiasco. It is arbitrary, needless, and inequitable. Anyone who wished to travel home on long weekends, or leave College after his last spring exam, or get a change of atmosphere between terms faces culinary double jeopardy. Unless, of course, he takes along box lunches.

It is hard to see how the decree will save the dining halls much money. When a student signs off board, the kitchen knows it has one less mouth to prepare for. When he cannot, they must judge their quantities on instinct. With this element of certainty gone, even larger quantities of food will find their way to the Cambridge dump than at present.

In his announcement of the four-bit board cut, Mr. Heaman spoke generously about students voluntarily limiting food and juice portions. In return, students can at least expect cooperation when they legally leave Cambridge for a few days. No drum rolls or bombast is needed. The secret order should rescind itself just as quietly as it came.