Swim Team Nabs Memorial Trophy With Three Wins

Crimson swimmers won all three of the events they entered in the New England A.A.U. meets at Worecester Saturday. The six-man delegation took the 200-yard freestyle relay, gained first, second, third, and fifth in the 50-yard freestyle, and won first, third, fourth, and fifth places in the 100-yard freestyle.

Dave Hedberg was outstanding, with two first places and a share in the relay victory.

Wins Trophy

By winning the relay, the Crimson retires the trophy awarded for the event-the Worcester Boys' Club Memorial Trophy. Two victories are required for permanent possession, and Crimson swimmers already had one victory toward it before they entered the meet. Hedberg, Captain Ron Huebsch, John McNamara, and Al Rapperport finished the 200 yards in 1:36:2 minutes.

Hedberg retained his title in the Massachusetts State 50-yard sprints, ending first in 23.6 seconds. McNamara was second, Huebsch third, and teammate Marv Sandler fifty.

Hedberg Ties Record

In the 100-yard freestyle, Hedberg gained the New England Senior A.A.U. Championship tittle and tied a record. His winning time of 52.3 seconds ties a New England A.A.U. record held jointly by Yale's brilliant sophomore freestyler, Kerry Donovan, Sandler took third in the event, Rapperport fourth, and junior Bill Travis finished fifth.

All six of the Crimson swimmers gained fifth place or higher in at least one of the events, which were held in the Worcester Boys' Club Pool. By scoring a double victory, Hedberg runs up to three the number of consecutive meets in which he has performed this feat.

On Wednesday, the team resumes its dual meet schedule, when it faces Brown at Providence. Another strong league opponent, Navy, Journeys up from Annapolis to test the Crimson on Saturday. The freshmen will also make the trip to Brown, but will, tangle with LaSalle Academy at the Indoor Athletic Building on Saturday in a preliminary meet.