Crimson Penalties Help Bruin Skaters Win 4-3

By David W. Cudhea

LYNN, Feb. 24--Two almost simultaneous Crimson penalties in the second period gave a hopped-up Brown squad the victory at the North Shore Sports Center here tonight.

With Jeff Coolidge and Dough Manchester both in the box halfway through the period, the Bruins socked in two goals to give them a 3 to 2 lead. The margin held until the period's end, and despite a brilliant fight by Harvard in the final session, the Bruins ended up out in front, 4 to 3.

Brown, playing furiously and with a minimum of cleanliness, opened the scoring at 4:15 of the first period. Star center Danny Keefe beat goalie Carl Hathaway with a fine shot from far out at the left, with Hathaway partially screended by his own defenseman.

Dick Clasby got that one back at 17:11, but the period ended with the score still tied, although the Crimson pressed hard. However it took only 58 seconds of the second period for the Crimson to take the lead, as Walt Greeley scored easily on a fine pass from Amory Hubbard.

Then came the penalties, and on came Brown, led by Keefe and DiBiase's goals. From then on, playing with two lines and only three defensemen, the Bruins held off Crimson rushes, as play became rougher and rougher.

Elbows flew wildly throughout the third period, as the Crimson put a sharp Brown goalie, Dave Halvorsen, to the test. Unfortunately he passed. Crimson wing George Chase left the ice with a stick cut over his ear, and after a solo drive by Norm Wood had been twarted by Halvorsen, Keefe and Bob Pettit combined again for the fourth Bruin score at 10:48.

The Crimson by this time had blasted no less than 20 shots in the period, but it was not until 19:03 that one paid off. Ed Mrkonich, on a pass from Greeley, slammed an excellent screen shot home.

Final Rush

Crowd and players were steaming and screaming throughout the final minute, as the Crimson threw six men onto the attack. They forced a face-off in the Brown zone with three seconds left. The puck went to Ed Mrkonich, his shot missed the cage by an inch, and with it went every last hope of Pentagonal or NCAA honors.

To the freshmen went the honors of salvage, and the applause of the "wait-till-next-year" boosters. The Yardlings hammered the Bruin Cubs, 6 to 3, in the opener, for their 12th straight victory. Center Bill Cleary pushed his point total for the year to 58, with three goals and two assists. Art Noyes and Winkie Childs provided the other two goals.