Dean Watson Will Not Stop Film Conflicts

After meeting with representatives of Ivy Films and the Liberal Union, Associate Dean Watson '33 yesterday refused to arbitrate film scheduling conflicts between the two groups.

"It is not a Dean's function to settle disputes among undergraduate organizations," Watson explained.

Ivy Films and the H.L.U. proposed that all organizations showing films here register them with the Dean's Office before scheduling and show proof that they have a contract for the picture from a national distributor. In case of conflict, the group registering the film first would have exclusive right to show it.

Unofficial Calendar

After refusing to act as an official "clearing house" for films, Watson said he will allow groups showing films to list them on the calendar in his University Hall office. He emphasized, however, that it will still be up to the organizations themselves to settle schedule conflicts that arise.

In addition to the usual requirement that groups exhibiting films submit a schedule to the Dean's Office for permit purposes, Watson yesterday asked Ivy Films and H.L.U. to warn him in advance of any "controversial films" being planned. The last such film, "Birth of a Nation," was finally shown last fall after numerous protests.

"Sierra" Dispute

Thomas P. Malone '53, who represented the H.L.U. at the meeting, said last night Watson's "central calendar" plan will work because "the difficulties were over the lack of information . . . and most organizations are anxious to avoid conflict."

The original Ivy Films-H.L.U. petition was precipitated when both organizations scheduled "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" for their spring series.