1500 Korean Veterans To Enroll in Fall Term

University Attributes Big Enrollment Jump To New G.I. Measure

University officials yesterday estimated that close to 1,500 Korean veterans would be enrolled in the University in the next academic year. All previous estimates had named 1000 as the expected high mark.

Yesterday's estimate, made by the University Veterans Office, is partially based on the fact that all veterans discharged before August 20, 1952, will have to begin their education next year in order to take advantage of the new Korean G.I. Bill.

A stipulation in the bill, which went into effect August 20, holds that veterans must begin their training not more than two years after their discharge.

At present there are 655 veterans studying here under the old and new G.I. bills. One hundred and eleven Korean veterans are enrolled.

655 Hero Now

The prime problem facing the University due to the influx of veterans is that of housing.

Mrs. Myles Baker, head of the Bureau for Harvard Wives, estimated yesterday that there would be about 1000 married men among the 1500 new veterans.

She stressed the crucial lack of housing for these families, pointing out that the temporary veteran housing which the University maintained at Fort Devens, the Business School, and other local areas after the war have all been torn down.

Contacted yesterday, John U. Monro '34, director of the Financial Aid Center and a member of the Committee on Veteran Affairs, said that the University definitely had no plans for new housing units.