Furry to Testify Again Before Group in April

House Committee Sets Second Hearing for Physics Professor

Professor Wendell H. Furry will testify a second time before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Committee Chairman Harold H. Velde announced late last night that the 46-year-old physics professor has been invited to appear in Washington on April 16.

Velde said Furry requested the new hearing. Late last week the Committee discussed Furry's case in a closed session. At that time, Velde indicated. "If he wants to come before the committee and will communicate with us, we will be glad to hear any further testimony he wants to give. . . . It's up to him. . . ."

New Lawyer

When he returned from Washington Thursday, March 12, Furry told newsmen he had made the journey to confer with his attorney and "some other people."

Furry made the trip on the advice of the Corporation and the Faculty Committee. While in Washington, he conferred with a new lawyer on the advisability of a second appearance before the House Committee.

On Monday, March 9, the Corporation decided to delay action on the Furry case, since he had assured it he intended to "supplement his previous testimony."

Earlier in yesterday's hearings, a Rutgers law professor refused to say whether he was a Communist in 1941. Abraham Glasser, who was a Justice Department attorney when he was cleared of the accusation in 1941, said he is protected from answering by the due process clause and the constitutional ban against forcing a person to testify against himself.