Spring and Summer Travel Need Immediate Planning

By Nicholas VOLK Jr.

Today is spring. Vocation starts a week later. Summer vacation begins two months afterwards. Vacation means travel to all Harvard and Radcliffe students. Summer visions of London, Paris, Rome and other Continental playgrounds are conjured up. But during Spring vacation Bermuda and the Caribbean are temptingly near. And for the more local traveler there is still the lure of the unknown in such cities as New York, Washington, and Chicago.

EUROPE

Travel facilities to Europe this summer will be extremely crowded. Many steamship reservations are already taken. The quickest and most expensive way to travel abroad is by plane. Flights departing and returning on almost any date are still available with all the major airlines. Experience recommends that you consult a travel agent for details, bookings, and complete tours.

For those going to Europe the best countries to visit from the point of low-priced living and most hospitable welcome will be Denmark, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. France, England, and Germany will be on the lookout for the tourist dollar with an attitude to match. Treatment by custom officials will vary in the same way on the Continent.

Don't overlook or postpone obtaining your passport for summer travel abroad, or almost anywhere out of the country. Passports can be applied for in Boston at the Department of State, Passport Agency, in the main Post Office Building at Post Office Square (Liberty 2-5600). Applications must be made in person and at least a month should be allowed for processing.

UNITED STATES AND CARIBBEAN

Closer in both time and space is Spring vacation travel. Individual preference will decide your destination during this week. The Loop and stockyards of Chicago, Federal offices and museums of Washington, and New York's everything are just a few suggestions. All these cities and more can be reached easily and conveniently by rail, bus, and plane.

Bermuda, of course, is still the ultimate in enjoyment of spring travel. Parties, dances, and sports tournaments of College Week, convenient proximity to Boston and New York, low priced tours, and no passport requirements make Bermuda truly a paradise isle for spring vacation travelers. A few late reservations are still available through local Bermuda representatives.

Nassau, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, are a little more out of the way, but equally as delightful as their northern neighbor, Bermuda. A trip to Cuba will introduce you to the Latin atmosphere.

Transportation for summer travel will be generally crowded and plans should be made quickly.