Most Subpoenaed Profs Said to Be On Faculty Here

University faculty members form the bulk of the 17 professors in Massachusetts colleges subpoenaed to testify before a Senate committee here next week, a Federal official said yesterday.

Washington sources disclosed that summonses have been sent to professors at five state colleges. They indicated that a large number would be called from the University, "a few" from M.I.T. and one each from Amherst, Smith, and Boston University.

The 17 will appear at a secret session of the Senate Internal Security Sub-committee in the Federal Building next Thursday. The committee is chaired by Senator William E. Jenner (R.-Ind).

Yesterday's statement contradicts a report earlier this month, in which committee sources said the group would call "six or seven" suspected subversives, but that none would be from Harvard.

The officials said that "three or four" of the 17 have also been subpoened for testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee in Washington next month. Altogether, U.S. marshals have summoned 12 Massachusetts professors to appear before the House unit.

Counsel for the Senate group Robert Morris yesterday said the committee had hoped to carry through the hearings without public knowledge but "apparently word leaked out in Boston contrary to our instructions and wishes."

He continued that the committee had hoped for complete secrecy in order "to protect the persons we are going to question." Morris indicated that the hearings would still be completely secret, but another source said the names of all the professors would be released Monday.

The professors called are expected to be asked flatly whether they are or over have been members of the Communist party. The report earlier this month said that if witnesses refuse to answer questions in secret hearings they will be asked to do so in open session.