Kazin and Irvine To Teach English Here Next Year

The English Department yesterday announced the appointment of two visiting professors for next year. They are William Irvine of Stanford University, and Alfred Kazin, well-known writer and critic.

Kazin, author of "On Native Grounds," a book on American literature, will teach two courses during the fall term. One, a course for undergraduates entitled "Art and Expression in American Literature" will deal with the style and technique of eight or ten American masterworks of fiction, poetry, and Philosophy. He will also teach a conference group in 20th Century American criticism.

Irvine, who received his Ph. D. here in 1937, will teach English 160, "Drama Since Ibsen." He taught the same course here in the summer of 1951. The Standford professor will also conduct a conference group in 19th century criticism.

Kazin will be here for the fall term, while Irvine, who recently finished a book on George Bernard Shaw, will only teach during the spring.

Kazin was the Literary Editor of "The New Republic" in the early 'forties, and is a frequent contributor to "The New Yorker." During the summer of1947, Kazin lectured at the Salzburg Seminar in American Studies.