Fitzpatrick's Quincy Street Combo

"Any resemblance to the late Justice Holmes is purely coincidental," writes D. R. Fitzpatrick, political cartoonist of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, in decribing his nomination for the Harvard presidency. He adds that the drawing is not supposed to resemble former football great W. Barry Wood '32, now a professor at Washington University Medical School in St. Louis.

Not too much is known about the man pictured above, but he looks as if he went to the right school.

If Fitzpatrick is right, the next occupant of 17 Quincy Street will have Conant's hair (bottom picture), Lowell's mustache (middle), and Eliot's sideburns (top). The pictures on the left were the photographs that the Crimson sent out to cartoonists to aid the selection process.

The winner of a Pulitzer Prize, Fitzpatrick has been drawing for the Post-Dispatch since 1913. His cartoons have also appeared in Coller's. This is the second of a series on the next chief executive of the University. Later drawings will be by Wait Kelly, creator of Pogo, the New York Times' drama cartoonist Al Hirschfeld, and the New Yorker's R. Thyler, illustrator of "Fractured French."

The Board of Overseers is meeting on Monday in University Hall, but it is expected that the Corporation's suggestion as to Conant's successor will not reach them until at least their April meeting. Under normal University procedure, the president must be approved at two successive meetings of the Overseers, but in 1933 the news of Conant's appointment was released after the first Overseer approval.