Crimson Nine Plays Amherst In Season's Baseball Opener

By David L. Halberstam

Harvard's baseball team, ignored by the experts and shut in by the weatherman, opens its 1953 season again Amherst this afternoon at Soldiers Field.

The game, weather permitting, will start at 3 p.m.

No one is sure just how strong the Crimson will be. Constant rain during vacation kept the team in Briggs Cage. Amherst has the advantage of a Southern trip.

"We should put in a good game, but I just can't tell how well we'll do," McInnis said yesterday.

Ward Will Start

Bob Ward, workhorse for the Crimson last season, will start against the Jeffs. The righthander, with control, is one of the toughest pitchers in the E.I.B.L. But with only a few hours outdoors, he will be at a big disadvantage against the Amherst hitters.

Behind the plate for McInnis, and batting clean-up will be Dick Clasby. He alternated between catching and the outfield last season, and until yesterday McInnis wasn't sure where he would start.

Captain Russ Johnson, a heavy hitter last season, will open at third base and bat third. First Marshal Walt Greeley, who alternated at shortstop last season, has been moved over to second base and will hit second.

Ed Krinsky, who played with Greeley at short, will open there today. Tim Wise, a two year veteran, will start at third.

One of 1952's most dependable hitters, Bob Smith will play centerfield. McInnis is counting on Smith, along with Clasby and Johnson to help what he fears may be a weak hitting team.

Two newcomers will start along with Smith in the outfield. Junior Bob Gremp, who didn't play at all last season will open in left and bat fifth, and sophomore Don Butters a Natick High teammate of Clasby, will play right. Butters is a catcher, but with Clasby behind the plate, McInnis is anxious to get Butters in the outfield.

"That boy has a strong arm, and I'd like to have him in right," he said.

The line-up and batting order: Smith, of; Greeley, 2b; Johnson, 1b; Clasby, c; Gremp, lf; Butters, rf; Wise, 3b; Krinsky, ss; Ward, p