Milk Strike May Force College to Reduce Servings

Students may have to drink something besides milk tomorrow.

"Milk in the Houses may be limited if the current milk strike is not called off by tomorrow," William A. Heaman, Manager of Dining Halls, said yesterday. He indicated that the strike would have no effect on today's milk supply.

Yesterday, the College sent out their own trucks to pick up milk which could not be delivered.

The Houses will still serve ice cream, because ice cream workers and deliverymen are not included in the walkout. The strike does not affect Radcliffe, because they buy from a firm not on strike.

Radcliffe and Harvard fare better than most institutions, restaurants, and homes around Boston. About 1800 drivers and processing workers stopped work in 13 companies yesterday. "More than half the milk consumers in the Greater Boston area are affected by the strike," company spokesmen said.

There is no danger that the College's milk supply will be completely cut off because milk is bought from two firms, one of which is not striking.

Union officials said the strike was called because dealers would not arbitrate certain issues. The proposal to cut Sunday milk deliveries, which would have meant the loss of 600 jobs, was one of the most pressing issues.