PBK Elects 8 New Members From Juniors

Six of the eight members of the Class of '54 yesterday elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society are from Lowell House. Dunster and Eliot placed one man each.

Three Classics majors elected are Andrew T. Cole, Jr. of Urbana, Ill., and Lowell; Henry Steele Commager of Rye, N.Y., and Lowell; and Kenneth J. Reckford of New York City and Eliot.

The other new Phi Beta Kappa members are David M. Kalstone of McKeesport, Pa., and Lowell, majoring in History and Literature; David B. Lewin of New York City and Lowell, majoring in Mathematics; Charles D. Parsons of Belmont, Mass., and Dunster, majoring in Mathematics; John H. Updike of Elzerson, Pa., and Lowell, majoring in English; and Calvert W. Watkins of New York City and Lowell, majoring in Linguistics.

Eight students of the Junior Class are annually elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society by a committee composed of faculty, graduate, and undergraduate Phi Beta Kappas.

The Harvard chapter of the national honor society is the oldest in the country. It will celebrate its 172 anniversary this year. The PBK softball team meets Yale today.