Amherst Nine Beats Crimson 7-2, in Season's First Game

By David L. Halberstam

Amherst's Bob Dehlendorf fired a three-hitter as the Lord Jeffs defeated the varsity baseball team, 7 to 2, on Soldiers Field in the Crimson's season opener Saturday.

Stuffy McInnis' team, making one of its rare outdoor appearances, showed a definite lack of practice. Its error output equalled its hit production; pitching wildness gave the Jeffs the game in the first inning.

Crimson starter Bob Ward walked four men in the opening frame, to give the Jeffs a three run lead which they never never lost. Amherst lead-off batter Ash Eames walked, and Arnie Zins singled past second, sending Eames to third. When Crimson shortstop Ed Krinsky bobbled Tom Lewis' grounder, Eames scored.

Zins and Lewis advanced a base on Bill Martin's infield out. Then with first base open, Ward deliberately passed Bob Brown. This strategy backfired when Ward walked the next two batters, Bob Jedrey and Hal Walter, to force in two runs. At that point Pat Groper relieved Ward, struck out the next two batters, and went the rest of the distance.

The Jeffs added single runs in the next three innings. A walk to Eames, a sacrifice, and Martin's clean single gave them their fourth score. In the third inning, another error by Krinsky, a bunt single, and Dehlendorf's long fly brought home a run.

Zins led off the fourth with a walk, one of the three off Groper. Zins moved to third when the Crimson pulled off a Tim Wise to Greeley to Russ Johnson double play. He scored when Brown singled to left center, one of the six visitor hits.

Dehlenderf's temporary loss of control helped give the Crimson its two runs in the sixth inning. With one out, the Amherst pitcher walked Johnson, Dick Clasby, and Bob Gremp. Then Wise punched a single past shortstop to score Johnson and Clasby.

A walk to Martin and Jedrey's triple to right gave the Jeffs their last run, in the seventh.

Bob Smith, veteran Crimson centerfielder, had to leave the game after the first inning because of a bad leg and will probably be out for at least a week. His place was taken by Dick Scheer, and later by sophomore Bill Chauncey.

Gremp and sophomore Don Butters got the Crimson's two other hits. Both were appearing in their first varsity game.