HLU Invites Fast to Speak; Ivy Films Blasts Schlesinger

Organizations Answer Professor's Charge Of Student Fear

By Daniel A. Rezneck

Two student organizations responded swiftly yesterday to charges by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, that students had displayed cowardice in the cancellation of recent University events.

In a surprise move, the Harvard Liberal Union decided to extend a speaking invitation to Howard Fast, controversial novelist whose scheduled appearance at last week's Law School Forum was called off.

Meanwhile, Ivy Films issued a statement terming "unfounded" and "with no basis whatsoever in fact" Schlesinger's accusations about the cancellation of an Ivy showing of "The Emperor Jones" with Paul Robeson.

Fast has agreed to participate in a debate tentatively set for April 22. He will argue the negative on the question, "Are the U.N. forces in Korea furthering the cause of world peace?"

Schlesinger, who assailed the Law School Forum cancellation in a letter to the CRIMSON yesterday, last night expressed a willingness to join in the Fast debate.

After the Liberal Union's decision to sponsor the discussion, Frank Goodman '54, president of the group, stated, "The HLU is sponsoring this debate in order to make clear that Harvard has not been intimidated by the recent Congressional investigations."

Referring to the controversy over the showing of "The Emperor Jones," Walter Ulin '54, president of Ivy Films, explained, "The film could not have been, and therefore, was not cancelled. We were unable to complete its booking.

"I regret Professor Schlesinger's failure to check the facts before placing unwarranted implications on Ivy Films," he said.

In reply, Schlesinger cited the Christian Science Monitor, which printed the story of the alleged cancellation last week.