Bob Ward Pitches Crimson To 6-2 Win Over Bowdoin

By Jack Rosenthal

Bob Ward allowed a two-run homer in the first inning, but then settled down to strike out ten Bowdoin Polar Bears, allow only two more hits, and lead the Crimson to a 6 to 2 baseball victory at Soldiers Field yesterday. The win was Harvard's first of the year.

Ward, in addition, batted in the sixth Crimson run with one of the team's three hits. Dick Clasby pounded out the other pair, a single and a triple.

Bowdoin took a first inning lead when Jack Cosgrove amashed a line drive to deep right centerfield with two out and Walt Bartlett on. He scored, following Bartiett, when the relay from the outfield was delayed. Cosgrove was credited with a home run.

Crimson Grabs Lead

Harvard took the lead for keeps in its half of the first, although the nine didn't get a hit. Three runs scored when four batters walked, Bowdoin starter Louis Audin hit Don Butters on the arm, and second baseman Fred Coukos bobbled a fly.

The Crimson added a pair in the second when Bill Chauncey was safe on a dropped third strike. Walt Greeley sacrificed and reached first on an error, and Dick Clasby singled to score Chauncey. Russ Johnson walked to force in Greeley, and Audet was relieved by Jim Hebert.

Ward batted in Tim Wise in the fifth for the last run. Wise walked and stole second before Ward's sharp single down the first base line.

Bill Cleary banged out two hits and drove in three runs as the Yardlings walloped the Brown freshmen, 15 to 2, at Providence yesterday. Ken Rossano registered the win. Joe Crehore was elected freshman captain after the game.