Baseball Team Wins Third Straight As Ward Beats Navy 3-1 Saturday

Andy Ward pitched the varsity baseball team to its second Eastern league victory in two days, and its third straight diamond win, stopping Navy, 3 to 1, on Soldiers Field Saturday.

Ward spaced five hits, fanned five, walked one, and yielded only an unearned run.

Meanwhile, his teammates were taking full advantage of three hits, Middle fielding lapses, and smart base-running.

Don Butters smashed a long triple to centerfield with two outs in the second inning. Tim Wise walked, and when he seemed to be caught in an attempted double steal, feinted back and forth allowing Butters to score before he was run down.

Navy Ties Scores

Navy evened the score in the top of the fourth. Centerfielder Walter Shaw was safe at first when Crimson second baseball Walt Greeley muffed a pop fly. Shaw moved to third on a sacrifice and infield out, and then scurried across the plate when Tim Wise juggled a hard grounder down the third base line.

The Crimson took back the lead, this time for keeps, in the bottom of the same inning. Captain Russ Johnson reached first on a fielder's choice, and streaked to third on Bob Gremp's hard double. Following a walk to Butters, Wise caught one of Middle pitcher Dick Murphy's pitches and smashed it to deep centerfield. Shaw went back to make the catch, but Johnson scored on the fly.

The game was the shortest played at Soldiers Field this year. The time was two hours and 20 minutes.