Youths Plead Not Guilty in Friday Attack

Six Cambridge teen agers booked for assault and battery in connection with the beating and stabbing of Richmond Bachelder '50 last Friday night, pleaded not guilty in East Cambridge Court Saturday. The trial was continued until next Friday morning.

Bachelder is now out of danger. He was refused admittance to Stillman Infirmary because he is not now enrolled in the University, and spent Friday night in Cambridge City Hospital. He was taken to his home in Newton Highlands, Mass., on Saturday afternoon.

Cambridge police have picked up no other suspects in connection with the beating. Bachelder and a friend, Fredrick M. Fawcett '53, were attacked by a group of about 12 local boys in front of the Harvard Square Garage at 10:30 p.m. Friday. Fawcett escaped with only a few bruises, but Bachelder suffered a serious knife wound in the head.

University Employee Held

One of the youths being held for $1,000 bail, John Cunningham, 18, of Kelly St., Cambridge, is employed by the University in the Union kitchen. All the boys charged are between 17 and 19.

Police who visited Bachelder's mother at her home Saturday morning told her the trial would be continued to Friday in hopes that Bachelder would be able to appear in court. Mrs. Bachelder seemed doubtful of the possibility.

"I think it's asking a lot to hope he'll be well enough," she said, "although I know it would be a good thing if the judge could see what they did to Dick."