Council Kills Motion to Up Yard's Quota

Lacking the unanimous approval of the Student Council members present, a proposed constitutional change which would up freshman Council representation from two to three, and permit those men to vote in both semesters instead of only in the second, went down to defeat last night.

Almost immediately, Edward M. Strasser '56 announced his intention to circulate a petition, if Dean Watson approves. One thousand undergraduate signatures are necessary to force the Council to submit the issue to College-wide consideration. Two-thirds of those who vote can make a decision either way.

Only 14 Present

Only 14 out of 21 Council members were present for last night's vote. Since this consititutes the two-thirds of the total membership necessary to amend the constitution, a unanimous vote was requisite for ratification.

Strasser argued that it was "undemocratic" for one-quarter of the Collage to have only one-tenth strength on the Council. He further urged that freshmen vote during their first semester of office since their scant College grounding would force the Council to carefully define each issue and thus move slowly and "conservatively."

Merely Liaison

Some Councilmen suggested that freshmen are merely liaison between the Freshman Union Committee, which appoints them, and the Council. As such, two representatives are sufficient, they maintained. During their first semester here, freshmen lack sufficient perspective to properly consider most issues, they added.

Last night, President Paul D. Sheats '54 opined that the Council might possibly decide to reverse its position if sufficient indication of students opinion warrants it.