Eliot, Dunster Rated Even In Bids for Straus Trophy

By John J. Iselin

Dunster and Eliot are slated to stage a down-to-the-wire race for final first place standing in Straus Trophy competition this spring. The Funsters boast a 5 1/2 point lead over the Elephants, 982 1/2 to 977, but the perennially strong Eliot crew is expected to wipe out this lead and make the race a toss-up. Otherwise, the two Houses are rated fairly even.

The Elephants' supposedly safe, but unofficial lead of 13 points over the Funsters vanished when intramural director Adolph Samborski issued official point totals for fall and winter yesterday. Dunster's spotless record of no forfeits moved them ahead of Eliot.

Kirkland's Deacons expect to do only fairly this spring, but their bulging 147 point lead over fourth place Adams practically assures them of third place. Adams figures to be strong only in golf, and trails Kirkland, 766 1/6 to 923.

Leverett House is 18 1/3 points behind the Gold Coasters, but Bunny strength in softball, baseball, and tennis will probably make it the top spring contingent and may ease it into fourth place ahead of Adams.

In the lower division, Lowell leads Winthrop 682 1/2 to 678 1/6 for sixth place. Dudley is squarely in the cellar with a 653 1/3 total.

Sport by sport, the Houses stack up as follows:

Tennis: Lowell is rated slight favorite over Leverett and Dudley in a strict three-team race. The Bellboys boast two sophomore Ecuadorians, Maurice Toro and Hernando Franco, as well as Bob Zock, who is currently ranked 14th in the College. The Hutch was up in tennis last year, and has undefeated Dick Myers back again to keep it there this year. Dudley, low last year, expects to have general, all-around improvement.

Golf: Adams should take the title, mainly on the strength of transfer student Ollie Kay from North Carolina. He was on the Tar Heel squad that took the Southern Intercollegiates last year. Dunster and Eliot rate contending positions.

Baseball: The situation is still pretty much of a question mark. Leverett took the crown last year but lost most of its team through graduation. Eliot has its ace, Luke Lockwood, back to pitch, and Kirkland has last year's late starting but undefeated Aris Demetrios going again on the mound.

Softball: Last year's strong finishers Eliot and Dudley are toss-ups for the top spot, with last year's championship playoff pair, Leverett and Dunster, also expected in the first division.

Crew: As usual, it should be power-houses Winthrop and Eliot battling for the top. Both consistently float three full boats. There is a strong possibility of instituting 150 pound crews this year, a move which could challenge the Elephant-Puritan dominance. Kirkland and Eliot have already been out on the river.

In the speciality sports of track and sculling much will depend upon individual turn-outs and cuts from the track team. Dunster has lost its sculling champion John Hart to throw the singles rowing event wide open.

Freshman Special: Thayer North topped Matthews South, 2 to 0, for the Yard volley ball crown.