Netmen Beat Blue, Bow to Tigers; Ruggers Whip Favored 'Wanderers'

The Crimson tennis team is favored to top Penn this afternoon and return home tonight with a one-lost, two-won record for its five day trip South. The varsity lost of Princeton last Friday and then shut out Columbia on Saturday.

The Eastern Intercollegiate champion Tigers crushed Jack Baraby's ten man squad 12 to 3 at Nassan.

The Varsity in turn dropped only one not in crushing the Lieus 9 to 0 at New York.

Mann dropped Princeton captain Dick Bailey at the fifth position, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, for his second straight three-set victory. He took one of the varsity's three matches against North Carolina last Wednesday. Watts won in straight sets at number seven, 6-4, 6-1.

Third Crimson victory at Nassau came in the fifth doubles, but the Tigers took all other matches.

All but One

Against Columbia, Johnny Rauh topped Maynard Driver 6-1, 6-4. Captain Charlie Ufford won by 6-3, 6-4, Art French by 6-2, 6-1, Alex Haegler by the same score, Don Bossart by 6-1, 6-4, and Dave Watts by 7-5, 6-2.

Bossart and Watts dropped the only set against the Lions at first doubles, winning 9-7, 6-8, 6-2.

Four successful goal-line stands climaxed the varsity rugby team's incest performances of the season as the Crimson swept both ends of a doubleheader from the New York Rugby Club and the British Navy's highly favored "Wanderers" Saturday on the House football field.

The varsity's 8 to 0 victory over the Wanderers' in the second game was probably the season's major upset, especially in the lift of the Wanderers' 23 to 8 win against the Crimson in Bermuda. Johnny Nicholas and Dike Hyde played outstandingly, as did the entire team.

The Crimson's first try was pushed over in the scrum. Left Wright scored the second try and Hobble Finney converted, giving the varsity its fourth win.

Captain, Robbie Duncan fought desperately to preserve the Wanderers' undefeated status, but his team was stalled by the varsity's power four times on the one foot line.

In the first game, Dave McGiffert and Larry McQuade starred against the New Yorkers, providing the offensive spark that led the Crimson to an 8 to 3 victory. Fullback Pat Parker scored a three point penalty kick, then converted for two more after McGiffert's try.

The Crimson is slated to meet Yale next Saturday.