Beyond the Bell Desk

By Thomas H. Stearns and Charles E. Zeitlin

Moors Hall is like every other Radcliffe dormitory, only slightly more so. It is the largest of the Annex halls, and perhaps the noisiest; but, just as in the others, its 108 women find they can fit individual personalities into the demands of dormitory life.

Residence in a 'Cliffe hall means eating together, using communal washrooms, smoking together, and working in the dorm a couple of hours weekly. While most women's colleges solicit student help for wages, the 'Cliffedweller waits on tables, works in the kitchen, and answers telephone "bells" for nothing.

Just as the dormitory is a self-contained unit, so is every floor. Each of the four floors of Moors Hall is a going community with a personality all its own. With a smoker, a communal washroom, a kitchen, and ironing boards of its own, every floor fuses its occupants into a unit.

However, no dormitory imposes a schedule of living on its residents. Some girls sleep all day, study or cavort all night; some hew to the standard pattern of classes and studying all day, sleeping during the night; others are thoroughly unroutinized.

The Radcliffe girl belongs first to herself, second to her floor, third to her dormitory, and last, but not least, to Harvard.