CHALLENGE TO DORGAN

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Of course, the various problems of subversive activities have caused our own Thomas Dorgan to dig up his dead-letter tommyrot from the dust and mildew and present it again to the faculties to sign on the dotted line or else. Apparently Mr. Dorgan is not willing to be forgotten. But why the teachers should not, in a body, refuse to sign that absurd slip which makes them eat humble pie that a few politicians prepared for them is very puzzling.

The pledge of allegiance is of course simply mumbo jumbo (a relic of Feudal days, when a pledge was supposed to have some magic in it) which can be of no use in this connection; for it would not make out of the disloyal teacher a patriot, nor is it necessary in order to take such a teacher to book when he does violate the constitution. It is simply a waste of effort, time and money, aside from causing friction and consuming energy needed in productive work.

But why do famous scholars and scientists jump through the hoop of Mr. Dorgan who apparently has never for-gotten his school failures (how many times has he tried the bar examinations?) and swear that they will teach to the best of their ability? Is this not an insult: and if such a pledge is exacted at all should it not come from the profession, as in the case of physicians, and not from a body of politicians? Is it not a tragic farce that the most conscientious profession should get on its knees and swear to the least conscientious (outside of downright racketeers of course) that its members will be good boys and girls and will not loaf on the job? At least teachers do not dine on $11.25 meals, charging them to the tax payer and do not vote themselves tax free raises and expense funds. Is a law constitutional which forces upon teachers a humiliation--that is, the admission that without the pledge to teach to the best of their ability, they will shirk their duty? Suppose these legislators framed a bill for teachers to get on their knees and recite five times "I'll be a good teacher," would that still have to be accepted as law? The fact that private colleges are tax free does not give state legislators the right to shove the professors around.

My suggestion is: Don't sign the teacher's oath. If enough people show stamina, the politicians will look elsewhere for their laurels. Why should we in the North not show the backbone of the teachers in California who refused to take the oath? Is not Boston the home of the original tea party? Name withheld by request