Council Requests College to Enlarge Foreign Enrollment

After an extensive survey, a Student Council committee recently urged the University to encourage foreign students to apply to the College and eventually increase their number to ten per cent.

On the basis of answers returned by two-thirds of foreign undergraduates, the Committee on Foreign Students felt that foreign students "as a group" had good academic and extra-curricular records.

These findings came as the result of a poll of the 152 foreign students in the College. One hundred replied.

"The College does not make any special effort to encourage foreign students to apply. A few just happen to arrive every year," the report reads in part.

Foreigner Works Harder

Despite the University's guarded interest, the Council found that the foreign student seemed much like his classmates, though he generally works harder.

The Council also suggested that the College establish orientation programs for foreign students who enter directly from their native countries, and that it may offer advisory assistance for those who request it.

Nearly 50 per cent of those returning the poll wrote that a student advisor might help solve problems of a foreign student entering college.

The report said that the distribution of foreign students among the Houses and classes was excellent. In addition, it stated that the most popular undergraduate activities were political clubs and Phillips Brooks House. House activities and language clubs rated next.

For "publicity and psychological reasons," the Council felt the Foreign Student Office ought to change its name, and offered "Non-Citizens" or internation Students Office as replacements.