Police Nab Youth Riding Shiny Bike

A youth's incongruous appearance yesterday led to his arrest as a chief suspect in thefts from Yard and House rooms.

Two Cambridge policemen spotted 18 year old Charles Oblenis of Boston pedaling around Quincy Square, dressed in shabby dungarees and riding an expensive English bicycle.

Subsequent investigation by police led to the discovery of another bicycle, and the following items which police say were lifted from College rooms: eight sports coats, four pairs of trousers, 12 shirts, ten neckties and two wallets, which formerly contained more than $50, according to police.

Fails to Explain

Oblenis was taken into custody after he failed to explain the discrepancy between bike and clothes. A search of the youth's home uncovered the rent of the alleged loot.

When questioned, Oblenis told police he had stolen the items from rooms in weekly installments since March. Charged with breaking and entering in the day-time and larceny of more than $100, he will appear this morning in East Cambridge Third District Court.

But, police said, many more room thefts are still unsolved. Since Christmas, they have received reports of losses of articles running into thousands of dollars, including radios, clocks, jewelry, typewriters, and baggage.