Track Team Tops Dartmouth Easily In Wet Stadium

Bob Rittenburg and Bob Twitchell each took two firsts and a second as the varsity track team splashed to a 104 1-2 to 35 1-2 victory over Dartmouth in a sloppy, soaking Stadium Saturday.

Rittenburg, who won four events last week, captured the bread jump with a leap of 21 feet 6 and 3-8 inches. He also tied for second in the high jump, behind teammate Ty Smith, and then edged Twitchell in the 120 high hurdles in 15.7.

Twitchell topped the Crimson's Pete Dow in both the 100 and 220 as well as taking second in the hurdles. His time in the Century was 10.4 and he did 22.4 in the 220.

But there were other heroes, as the Crimson took firsts in 14 of the 16 events in winning its third consecutive outdoor meet.

Goldman Takes First First

Bob Mello placed second behind Rittenburg in the broad jump, and then cleared 12 feet 9 inches in the pole vault for a first. And Carl Goldman, who had never won an event before, threw the javelin 162 feet 91/2 inches for a first place. Goldman also took second in the hammer throw, behind the Crimson's Bob Curran.

Sophomore Al Howe outran Dartmouth's Warren Boody and John Huck as he captured the 440 in 51.1. Howe also led off the winning mile relay team of himself, Phil Meyers, Roger Gratwick, and Jack Richards. Their time was 3:35.8.

Hal Gerry, way ahead of the field, stopped at the tape and waited for Emil San Soucie to take first, in the two mile. San Soucie's time was 10:44.

Sweeps Discus

The Crimson swept the discus, with Phil Pratt taking first, Roger Machanic second, and Dirk Walecka third. Pratt threw it 145 feet 21/2 inches. The varsity also swept the shot put, with Gil Murray first, Walecka second, and football star John Culver third. Murray did 43 feet 5 inches.

The only other varsity first was in the 220 low hurdles, where Bill Weber won in 27.4.

The freshman team, led by sprinter Norm Bruck, easily beat the Green yearlings, 88 to 47. Bruck took the 100-in 10.6 and the 220 in 23.9.