Favor Winthrop As House Crews Take to Charles

All House first boats will flail the Charles this afternoon as preliminary races for the crew championship are hold at 5:30 and 6 p.m. The drawing pit Eliot against Leverett, Dunster, and Dudley in the first race, while favored Winthrop faces Kirkland, Lowell, and Adams in the second.

The races will be rowed over a mile-long upstream course through the Basin. Finish line will be just below the Cottage Farm bridge.

Winthrop, with one of the best House crews in recent years, is a definite favorite to win not only today's preliminary heat but also the finals next Tuesday. Since the Puritans have been rowing together as a unit since Weld opened after vacation, they have the experience which will prove valuable in the rough Basin water. They have been coached by Kim Whiting. Bob Terry will stroke.

Kirkland, stroked by Randy Harris and coached by Tom Hagoort, should give Winthrop a good race and could pull an upset over the relatively short course. Eliot, with George Walcott at stroke and John Pratt coxing, should win the first race without much trouble. Dunster and Leverett are evenly matched, the former having practiced more often, but the Bunnies boasting the more experienced oarsmen. Bruce Morgan strokes the Dunster eight, Otto Grote, Leverett.