Corporation Expected To Appoint Hastie as P.B.H. Grad Secretary

The Corporation will definitely give its approval of Cornelius D. Hastle '52, first year student at Episcopal Theological Seminary, as the next Graduate Secretary of Phillips Brooks House, it was learned yesterday.

The Corporation's announcement of his appointment will come in the face of stiff opposition by the P.B.H. Cabinet. That group of undergraduate House leaders has objected to Hastie's nomination because it will break a long precedent of secularism in the graduate secretary's post.

When the P.B.H. Committee first announced its nomination of Hastie for the position, it told the Cabinet that any objections to the choice would have to be referred directly to the Corporation.

Cabinet Looking for Another Man

The Cabinet has since indicated that it would continue to look for a man other than Hastie to fill the post. Late last night it still had not reported another candidate sufficiently qualified to challenge Hastie.

Whether the Cabinet finds another man in time or not will make little difference, according to a high University official. "They won't get to put in any new names tomorrow," he said last night. "The Corporation will definitely pass on Hastie."