Dean Sperry Delivers Final Chapel Sermon Tomorrow Morning

Dean Willard L. Sperry of the Divinity School, retiring chairman of the Board of Preachers, will deliver his last early morning chapel sermon tomorrow at 8:45 a.m. in Memorial Church.

The Divinity School head will preach again this Sunday in Memorial Church at the regular Sunday service to close out his 31 year long career at the University.

Dean Sperry, who is 71 years old, has been chairman of the Board of Preachers since 1928, and has officiated in Memorial Chapel since its opening in 1932.

Students Express Gratitude

As an expression of their gratitude for his long years of service, his students in the Divinity School have commissioned a portrait of Sperry. A photograph of him will be presented by his friends and colleagues and will be hung in the preacher's room of Memorial Church. A gilded edition of the Revised Bible, in whose writing Sperry played a large part, will be placed in the collection of holy writings in the Chapel.

Dean Sperry who came to Harvard in 1921, had previously been a professor at Andover Theological Seminary. He went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, from which he obtained his B.A. in Theology with first class honors. Dean Sperry received an honorary D.D. from Harvard in 1941.