Probes, Deficits Head Headaches Of New President

Nathan M. Pusey '28 steps into a hot seat as well as the foremost position in American education as he assumes the Presidency of the University.

Besides defending the University from the impact of the investigations into Communism in education, he faces inflation problems, a huge athletic deficit, and the job of revamping the Divinity and Design Schools.

These crises will add to the usual load he assumes as chief of the oldest, wealthiest, and most controversial university in the United States.

In addition, he must choose a new Dean of the Faculty in the near future, and decide whether to continue the post of Provost. Both jobs are being vacated by Paul H. Buck.

The new President will preside over the Corporation as, in line with its recently stated policy, it "inquires into the full facts" in order to decide whether to retain teachers who have refused to testify before investigating committees. In this touchy field, he faces the well-nigh impossible job of reconciling the opinions of the bulk of the Faculty on one hand and state and national political figures on the other. A number of prominent alumni have also expressed themselves vigorously on this issue, which, in less than a year, has become one of the University's biggest headaches.

The new President will have to deal with inflation in many forms. Last year, the Law, Education, and Medical Schools ran up deficits, as did the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The H.A.A. went 446,000 dollars into the red, leaving the new Administration with the decision between making up that deficit or dropping some of the present athletic program.

Many Schools in Red

The President will also be asked to find a way to boost the sagging Divinity School fund drive, which has advanced only one-sixth of the way toward its three million dollar quota. The Design School, with a newly appointed Dean Jose Sert, is also undergoing a shakeup.

In addition to these special problems, the new president will deal with Permanent Faculty appointments and the admissions program. Retiring President Conant was a member of every ad hoc committee set up to choose a new associate professor. The admissions program, now in the hands of Dean Wilbur Bender '27, is partially a result of Conant's stress on a better geographic distribution of students.

Although the President will work with both the Corporation and the Faculties on top matter of educational policy, his position carries with it a broad grant of individual authority. And, he, more than any single man, represents the University to the world.