Need A Course II

The Classgoer

Today's Classgoer notes selections to enliven Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 9

Frederick Merk, whose well-organized History 61a is one of the best in that Department, is giving his expansive middle group course for the last time this year. the course, History 162, on the Westward Movement, has a reading list dotted with the journals of historical societies throughout the Mid-West as well as the standard writings on our territorial growth. Merk has an excellent delivery. Harvard Hall 1.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 10

The grand old man of Music 1, Archibald Davison, is retiring at the end of the year. Although the course will surely go on without him, the devotion, and enthusiasm which he gave to it will probably be unduplicated. Piano and recording illustrations compliment the two weekly lectures of this full course. Paine Hall.

A pretty deep analysis of the theory of democracy will take place in Burr Hall A this fall Soc. Sci. 118 generally acclaimed as one of the top advanced G.E. courses will feature popular Louis Hartz as lecturer. Not a gut by any means, the reading list ranges from Locke to Freud, and a good deal of individual thought is necessary for any token of success.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 11

Polymathic Kenneth Conant, who attracts a sizable throng in his spring course on modern architecture, is giving a one term survey on the architecture of the Americas this fall. Entitled Fine Arts 179, this course is just the thing for those who want to find out how Harvard's buildings got that way.

For a course on the wrongs and rights of American foreign policy over the last 35 years, stop in on Yaleman McGeorge Budy, Government 185, in Sever 11. this one can be a bit rugged.

Colorful Arthur Darby Nock heads a tip of lecturers discussing the history of religions in Harvard Hall 4. Since the course only covers religious groups up to the time Judaism began, it is not likely that this will overlap anything you learned in Sunday school. Professor Daniel Ingalls will be there to talk about India. The pageant is called History of Religions 101a.

Those who have take Music I may want to pry deeper into the symphony with Music 135. The course covers composers from Haydn to Piston at the hours noted above and in a section on Monday from 2 to 4. Glee Club conductor G. Wallace Woodworth is the forceful lecturer, Room 2 of the Paine Music Building.

A discussion of the brass tacks of criticism will take place in Emerson F. A visiting professor from the University of Michigan, Charles Stevenson, will do the talking in this course, listed in the catalog as Philosophy 163 and labelled "Aesthetics."

Tuesday and Thursday from 2 to 4

Ebullient Harry Bober will guide students through the art museums of the Boston area in his course, Fine Arts 14. Examining original paintings from various periods, this course is the answer to those who wish to escape the lantern slide method of Fine Arts 13. Fogg Small Room.