Varsity Five Beats Princeton, Loses Squeaker to Columbia

By Jere Broh-kahn

The Crimson basketball team won one and three-quarters Ivy League games this weekend, but lost the other quarter and had to settle for a split. The varsity defeated Princeton on Saturday, 64 to 53, after losing to Columbia on Friday, 63 to 57.

The Lions outscored the Crimson, 20 to 7, in the first ten minutes and hung on to their lead through the rest of the game, though the home team edged them in each of the remaining three quarters. Friday night the freshmen also trounced Nichols Junior College, 81 to 49.

In the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League the varsity now has one victory against three defeats and in overall games it has lost five and take six. This is only one less than it won all last year. Princeton's defeat was also its first since 1948 on the Crimson's home court.

Against the tigers on Saturday, the varsity started slowly, trying the visitors, 13 to 13, at the quarter. Ed Blondick's three jump shots and a foul and Captain Ed Krinsky's four points paced the team.

Bill Dennis made three set shots and a free throw, while Ed Condon and Harry Sacks split ten points between them to lead the team, to a half-time margin of 36 to 30.

The scoring pace slowed down in the second half as the Crimson tightened its defense. But the varsity picked up enough points to lead, 49 to 41, at the end of the third quarter.

Sacks ended the night with 16 points, tying Tiger Captain Phil Zuravleff. Blodnick scored 14 and Dennis 12, while Condon and Krinsky each notched eight. Dick Manning, the Crimson's only substitute, tossed in six points.

Starting the second period, the Crimson fell behind by its widest margin of the night, 14 points. Krinsky's two set shots and Sack's six foul conversions enabled the team to pull up at half-time, however, 33 to 21. The Crimson's two high point men for the night, Sacks and Dennis with 16 apiece, scored only one field goal between them in the half, and the team had only four altogether.

A determined Crimson ran onto the floor for the third quarter, and aften ten minutes had cut Columbia's margin to 49 to 38. Blodnick entered the game with a minute to go in the period and promptly scored on a jump shot. The big center then sparked the team with four more field goals in a row. The Crimson pulled up to 52 to 49 with four minutes left in the last quarter.

The Lions were not to be denied their first Ivy league win, however. They made five straight points, and Brown then iced the game with six foul shots in the last three minutes.Scoring 16 points against both Columbia and Princeton, HARRY SACKS paced the varsity basketball team to a split in its Ivy League games this weekend. Twenty of Sacks' 32 points came on free throws in which he leads the league for the second straight year.