Schnaitter, Morgan to Lead Yale Against Crimson Saturday at IAB

By Jack Rosenthal

To defeat Yale Saturday, the varsity basketball team must stop an ailing Dead eye Dick and an active Fancy Dan. For this reason, the rapidly improving Crimson has been concentrating on defense, since success would give the team 1950-51 season, its second straight Ivy league win, and its third consecutive victory. Game time is 8:30 p.m.

But it won't be as easy as one-two-three, for the sharpshooter is Eli captain Spence, Schnaitter, a husky, aggressive forward, who scored 136 points in Yale's first ten games. He missed the last three games because of an ankle injured in practice, but he is expected back, at least for limited action at the Blockhouse Saturday.

The Globetrotter-type ace is guard Ellsworth Morgan, who has sparked the Blue fast break all season. "He can do anything with the ball," notes varsity coach Norm Shepard, and this is the reason Shepard will make guard Ed Condon, an exceptional defensive player, responsible for Morgan.

Even if the Crimson manages to check both Schnaitter and Morgan, Howard Hobson's New Haven Quintet Beasts a slight height advantage ever the Crimson at almost every position.

Playing across from Schnaitter will be

sophomore Bill Tatlock, a six-feet one-inch forward, or Frank Demeak, 6-4, who took over while Schnaitter was sidelined. Junior Mike Yellin, 6-2, is scheduled to open at center, and Dave Hobson, the coach's son, will start with Morgan at guard.

Joining Condon at guard for the Crimson will be Captain Ed Krinsky, while league high-scorer Harry Sacks and Bill Dennis will start at the forward posts. Sacks has collected 236 points in 12 games for almost a 20 point average, and Dennis has averaged over 14 per game.

Shepard has yet to decide on his starting center. Ed Blodnick, 6-7 senior, is the tallest man on the squad, but junior Dick Manning has the edge in speed necessary to stop Schnaitter.

Fouls Cause Trouble

Personal fouls, however, not enemy defenses, have been Schnaitter's main concern. A product of rugged Indiana high school basketball, he is a rough, valuable rebounder. In his sophomore year, however, this aggressiveness gave him the league lead in personals--he averaged 4.7 a game, and was ejected from 14 Yale contests on fouls. Last year, he trimmed this to 4.3, but still topped the EIBL.

In the preliminary game, the undefeated Yardlings will seek their seventh straight and at the same time try to stop the Dean Academy winning streak at 34.

In their last outing, the Yardlings beat New Hampshire, 65 to 54. although they couldn't score a basket for the first eight minutes, they gained at 24 to 21 edge at the half and went on to win.

High scorers for the freshmen were Captain Bob Dolven with 22 points and Ike Canty with 15. Phil Haughey and Lou Lowenfels each chipped in 10 points