Yale Pups Isolated from Girls in Riot Aftermath

Social Probation Will Last Three Weeks; Elis 'Surprised'

Social life has been suspended at Yale still Feb. 8 as the result of a snowball fight last Friday. The fracus involved 1500 undergraduates and neighboring high school students and required police attention.

Eli officials, unable to impose penalties to individuals, have announced that all students will be on "social probation." This means that women will not be permitted at any hour in any of the undergraduate or fraternity houses and that students will not be permitted to accompany lady guests into the lounges and dining halls.

One bespectacled Eli undergraduate, who refused to give his name, was surprised upon hearing the punishment. "I'm surprised," he said. "I wasn't there, but I heard it wasn't Yale's fault anyway. The whole idea of Social Pro for everyone is so silly I don't think anyone will pay any attention to it. I bet all the boys still bring in gals to parties as they've always done."

The riot broke out after two nearby high schools were dismissed Friday afternoon when someone threw a snowball and used the window of a fish truck on dormitory-lined Elm St., the scene of Yale's 1952 "ice cream" disturbance.

Yale undergraduates poured out of their rooms to aid friends who were being barraged with snowballs by the high school pupils. Police reported only 100 students were involved when the trouble started, but that at least 1,500 were in the fight when it was finally stopped.

Ten Yale undergraduates were arrested a were charged with breach of the peace. They were released without bail and are scheduled to face trial on Jan. 29.