University to Add Eight New Courses in Spring

New French Sections To Stress Advanced Reading, Speaking

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences has added eight courses and dropped five in the undergraduate program for the spring term. In addition, two advanced sections have been added to French Cb.

Included among the new listings are a government, a chemistry, and two new biology courses.

Dr. Franz A. Lipmann, professor of Biological Chemistry, is to teach Biology 195, Biosynthetic Mechanisms. Lipmann was Nobel Biology Prize winner last year for his work on proteins.

For the spring semester, the Department of Romance Languages has added two special sections to French Cb. The sections will work at an advanced rate, emphasizing superior reading and speaking skills.

These sections will be restricted to French Ca students who have already passed their language requirements, or carried an A or B average in French Ca. The program in one of the classes emphasizes oral work with intensive drill and individual testing. Last year the French Department placed emphasis in basic language course upon reading skill.

Eligible students may apply for these sections at Little Hall 26 between 9 and 10, Thursday, Feb. 4.

New Government Course

Professor Boris Mirkine-Guetzevitch will teach Government 112, replacing Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, now in England on a Fulbright grant. The course will cover parliamentary government and party politics in Europe.

The other biology course added is Biology 196, Principles of Drug Action. Dr. Avram S. Goldstein '40, assistant professor of Pharmacology, will be the lecturer.

Chemistry 208, Isotopes in Organic Chemistry, is a new course, primarily for graduates, but it will be open to undergraduates, auditors because of the interest, aroused in recent months in new techniques for isotope research.